Thursday, August 25, 2016

Bomboy - This Year's Art Themes

     This is my second year taking this portfolio class and I already completed this assignment here: 2015-2016 Themes.
     However, even in this short span of a year, my concentration already has altered greatly to a more defined and ambitious path. Last year I gushed on and on about my passion--video games--but I dilly-dallied around by being interested in character creation, concept art, and still modeling. While these are still very import to what I accomplish this year, my goal by the end of my senior year is to make as many polished video games as I can to include in my college portfolio. With this said, my chosen themes are not very different from last year, but what I wish to accomplish with these themes in mind are.
     Therefore, invention and fantasy are still the main themes that will relate and show up in my art. Last year for invention I wanted to make characters, worlds, and objects that are not real. This time I would like to add level design, have an original video game concept, make a whole game from scratch including the art and coding--basically be more game-design related. As for fantasy, I wish my video games to be set in a mystical time where I will be able to make my own lore and specific look for the world and place the games take place in. I believe my art will be more fantasy as opposed to realistic unless I attempt a more realistic 3D game. An added theme is stories and history; my mom wishes me to make a video game using the stories behind what animals stand for in Chinese culture. For example, a salon is strong because is goes against the current--it's okay to be different. There is also a fish that turns into a dragon. This sounds like an interesting basis of a simple video game with beautiful art.
     Additionally, as always in video games, there is going to be some form of violence and a way to commit this violence. This is why I am still including war as a theme. I will make weapons and there will be death--all the natural video game components. I have also been more interesting in the concept of death; what happens after death? what journey do you go through, if there even is one? I have a couple of game concepts revolving around death bouncing around in my brain, but still no actual product.
     So while some of these themes may be repeats of last year, this year I hope to develop these ideas into professional and more serious pieces of art. I want to make games as game companies do: including GDDs, postmortems, paper prototyping, concept design, level design, and so much more. I am excited to see what I am going to produce using these themes this year and, hopefully, even in college and my future career.

No comments:

Post a Comment