Sunday, October 9, 2016

Bomboy - Artist Inspiration: Shovel Knight

Image result for shovel knight pixel art
     Shovel Knight is a 2D side-scrolling platform game created by Yacht Club Games. The player controls the protagonist as he collects treasure and fights the Order of No Quarter. The art decided on for the game is the traditional 8-bit style and chiptune soundtrack both in the style of older video game titles from the NES era. In fact, Shovel Knight mimics most of the style from older video games and even limited itself to the NES color palette and animation count. This means that the larger sprites were superimposed on a black background to keep the limit of colors available realistic. More NES limitations include camera shakes that only act on a single axis and a game interface that acts as a background layer instead of being overlaid on top of the gameplay. Actions available mainly involve Shovel Knight's shovel, which he can either use to attack enemies head on and dig up treasure, or aim below him while jumping to bounce on enemies. The goal throughout the game, other than the obvious fight through each level and defeat the boss at the end to progress, is to collect as much treasure as possible. This treasure can then be used to buy items in the game. In all, Shovel Knight is a successful 2D platformer that has achieved critical acclaim and has won various awards.
     These are the 8-bit sprites of the main character, Shovel Knight. The art style inspires me because I am making a 16-bit game and seeing the style in use helps me visualize and understand how my designs are going to look or fit into my game. I also did not realize how detailed 8-bit characters could become; I always thought 8-bit meant less details and a more simplistic design. I decided on 16-bit because I want to ensure the details in my game; my hope is to get my game as beautiful as some 2D games such as Shovel Knight.
     Again, my goal is to achieve this atmospheric and detailed world such as that the Shovel Knight lives in. Also, my HUD is going to be as simple as the one pictured above. Life counter, how many more levels until the decision, and a timer to calculate the points for how fast the players are going.

     Overall, this traditional 2D side-scrolling platformer has inspired my art, concept design, and gameplay functions for my own game. This game is rated 10/10 on Steam and also in my personal ranking of good games. While I've already started, I am excited to create my own characters, villains, and environments dot-by-painstaking-dot.

No comments:

Post a Comment