Sunday, May 8, 2016

Eight Tips on Editing a Video

Right now I am working on three video projects... cry. Since I have no experience in any way, shape, or form in the film world, I decided to (as usual) research away. I found these eight tips very helpful on how to edit my videos and decided to share (especially since I'm about to live my life by these tips because editing is so time-consuming).

1. Maintain a Project Directory
When starting a project, it is easy to just load everything onto your Desktop and hope for the best. Don't do that. Instead, create a project directory. Create a folder, and in that folder, have more folders labelled for every different type of media. Load your content into their specific type. Why? ORGANIZATION. Now while I'm editing there will be an easy flow of work and easy access rather than "where is that one clip that I need?"
2. Have Two of EVERYTHING
Failed hard drives and memory cards. Sound familiar? To me it does ;-; So, keep a copy of stuff in a separate location. If disaster strikes... you're going to be okay. Also, when the project is over, store everything on another hard drive and delete the files off your main computer.
3. Trim
Don't just load a clip on a timeline and be done with it. Trim the beginning, end, awkward moments of silence, etc. Keep it interesting for whoever is watching.
4. Choose Wisely
When needing a video editor, use one you know or one that is easy to learn so your project doesn't take forever when so far you've been looking at buttons and fancy features. Just do simple stuff if you're new (AKA me). Right now, I'm using both Premiere Pro and MovieMaker for different projects... I hate MovieMaker to say the least. With a passion. And when in doubt... Google or YouTube it.
5. Avoid Jumpcuts
If you have film with "um" and "uh" or pauses and messups... cut them out and use cutaways in these awkward moments. It will look like the speaker/actor said/did things without a hitch. Use advanced editing programs for this such as Premiere Pro.
6. Second Sound Source
If you want clear audio, don't use the camera (learned this the hard way). If possible, use a better mic and a separate recording system. Then you have to sync the video to the audio (pretty hard though so try to avoid complicated stuff). If you don't have a mic or equipment... do your best (AKA me again, don't judge me).
7. Vary the Shots
Keep the video visually interesting. Vary angles, shots, design elements, etc. Just don't do so many cuts that someone will have an epileptic seizure. That means you're doing it wrong.
8. Tell the Story
Always tell the story when editing (beginning, middle, end, etc.). You need structure and professionalism. While it may not be perfect (because you are not a professional editor), just remember to have fun with it.

I REALLY need as much help as I can get on these videos and I'm glad I have the internet and my teacher to help me out XD (Especially since one of the videos has to be 40 minutes long ;-; wish me luck!)

No comments:

Post a Comment