Sunday, January 22, 2017

Bomboy - Game Screens

Continuing with the making of game screens from last marking period where I made the You Must Choose screen, I decided to make another one for the game development team I recently joined.
We are recreating the game I was a part of at the USC Summer Program, and therefore kept the original title for it when I made the above screen. I really liked the silhouette idea from the first screen I made so I decided to reuse it. I also liked the aesthetic of the original castle so I kept that for the new one. What I had to change, however, was the character. I wanted a more steam punk princess due to the feminist theme of the game, so I made her dress more rugged and have feathers in her hair. Her weapon in the game is a sword so I included that in there. And since I wanted a little bit of a softer feel, I used a gradient to create the sky with more soothing colors. I have to say, while I love what it looks like, I don't like it for the theme of the game. We want a more hard-core feminist vibe so I think the princess looks to "soft" in this screen. So I may change the arm on the right to one holding a shield to make her more unapproachable; I feel like that arm gives her too much of a feeling of innocence or weakness.
My leader then decided to change the title of the game because Rising Sun isn't very relevant and I agree. So he wanted an image without the text so I took it off, and I believe it looks more like a desktop screen now. We're thinking of naming the game I Can Even, a spin off of the phrase "I can't even" that basically makes fun of girls. We were thinking of having an animation where the princess jumps up and slices off the "'t" of "can't" to leave it as I Can Even. This will give a funny ironic tone and we want to make the game comedic and strong at the same time so this title is a bit more fitting.
On the topic of my game development team, we've been having regular meetings weekly and this week I actually had homework. We were supposed to come up with a couple of sentences that describe our game's core value and this is mine: "No longer will women be defined by their beauty and be called weak. No longer will women be the ones to stand by and take the role of damsel in distress. Every woman has the right to be herself, fight for herself, save herself… and women will continue to break down castle walls and defy stereotypes." While it is a little harsh, I believe it shows our intention quite clearly. I am excited to be working on a game that supports my feminist views, and I can't wait to develop our strong, intelligent Princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment