Monday, January 16, 2017

Bomboy - Trying Out New Tools

For Christmas I received two new art tools that I am very excited to have gotten. I asked for a Uni Ball Signo White Gel-pen and the Pentel Brush-pen. I asked for these two specifically because almost all of the artists I watch on YouTube have these in their toolkit to make beautiful art. Plus, I really wanted a brush-pen to work on the line quality of my art. For English class, my teacher gave out extra credit and I thought the situation would be the best opportunity to test my new pens. Therefore, I sketched a scene from Milton's Paradise Lost where Satan and Michael are fighting "like planets colliding." So I sketched them fighting, lined the art with the Pentel brush-pen, water colored everything, and then used the gel-pen for details such as the stars, highlights, and giving a border around the two figures. I have to say I am proud of how this piece turned out in the end, but while I was outlining with the brush-pen I thought I was making a terrible mistake. The brush-pen was obviously not used to the best of its ability in my hands, but I hope to get better at using it. I think the first mistake I made was deciding to use it on such a small piece--brush-pens are good for larger, organic pieces. But now that I have attempted using it, I have learned how to use it better for next time and that's what matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment